Annons:
Tagother-things-about-tea
Read 3358 times
Niklas
2017-03-27 09:58

Does storage temperature matter to tea?

How important is the storage temperature to Tea quality? I don't mean extreme temperatures but between a couple of degrees plus and up to 30.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Tealover
2017-03-27 10:16

Up to 30 degrees centigrade it can matter. Tea is best stoored a little cooler that room temperature, room temperature at max. So in a sunny window or next by the stove is a baad idea

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Niklas
2017-03-27 10:37

In the fridge if you have a tight lid then?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tealover
2017-03-27 10:52

#2 Some say thats ok, but theres risk for condense (witch is bad) so I don't use the fridge myself

Niklas
2017-03-27 11:28

Okay. Thanks!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Teasenz
2017-03-31 05:22

I only store the following teas in the freezer below 0 degrees:

• Green teas (if I don't plan to consume it within 3 months)
  • Light oolongs
  • Flower teas

Of course they need to be perfectly sealed.

Every tea leaf needs someone that truly understands him.

Niklas
2017-03-31 07:57

What do you use for freezer storage? Vacuum packed in plastic bags?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Tealover
2017-03-31 08:31

#5 Thanks for that info, I have never dared to store Tea in the freeser because of the condense

Niklas
2017-03-31 11:16

Maybe you could use a vacuum sealer to get rid of the air and eliminate the risk of condensation ruining the Tea? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Crenova-Sealing-Indicator-Function/dp/B01N2ZVKWK/ref=sr_1_4

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Teasenz
2017-04-01 06:14

Freezers are no problem at all, as long as it's sealed and preferably vacuum packed. The condense isn't a problem because it's sealed and below zero degrees. Water won't move when it's below 0 degrees.

Green Tea has still the most water content left, so if not frozen the oxidation process will continue, and go faster than other types. It starts to turn yellow in a few months.

It's a common practice in China for Tea merchants. Because good green Tea is sourced in spring and you want to keep it fresh the whole year until the new Spring batch is available. I usually even keep a small sample of green teas for up to 5 years, because I can compare the same Tea from the same grower for all the years and see if they've improved. It's surprising to see that even the 5 year old sample still looks really good when kept frozen.

If it's cheap green Tea, then never mind. It's probably already pretty mediocre when it's purchased.

Teasenz
2017-04-01 06:19

@Niklas, vacuum sealing can be good, but don't do it too tight. It could break certain types of Tea leaves. Sealing is the most important part.

Niklas
2017-04-01 17:15

Okay. :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: