Annons:
Tagtea-news
Read 2256 times
Tealover
2018-04-24 18:43

Caffeine during pregnancy makes bigger babies

A new study from Norway indicates that a higher caffeine consumption during pregnancy increases the risk of overweight children.

Other studies have indicated this before but this study calculated all the caffeine intake, not just caffeine from coffee. And it's also a quite big study.

The result shows that the higher caffeine consumption is during the pragnancy the higher is the risk of overwheight children in higher ages (at most 8 years old).

If I understand the study correctly though, intake up to 200mg caffeine a day does not give higher weight than average.

200 mg caffeine is about 2½ to 8 cups of Tea with 2 dl Tea per cup. The difference is because the amount of caffaine differs greatly in tea*.

So maybe the recommendation of maximum of 300mg caffeine a day** should be lower?

* not included matcha

** The recommendation in Sweden, it may differ in other countrys

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/8/3/e018895

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Objectives To study the association between maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy and the child’s weight gain and overweight risk up to 8 years. Design Prospective nationwide pregnancy cohort. Setting The Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study. Participants A total of 50 943 mothers recruited from 2002 to 2008 and their children, after singleton pregnancies, with information about average caffeine intake assessed at mid-pregnancy. Outcome measure Child’s body size information at 11 age points from 6 weeks to 8 years. We defined excess growth in infancy as a WHO weight gain z-score of >0.67 from birth to age 1 year, and overweight according to the International Obesity Task Force. We used a growth model to assess individual growth trajectories. Results Compared with pregnant women with low caffeine intake (<50 mg/day, 46%), women with average (50–199 mg/day, 44%), high (≥200–299 mg/day, 7%) and very high (≥300 mg/day, 3%) caffeine intakes had an increased risk of their child experiencing excess growth in infancy, after adjustment for confounders (OR=1.15, 95% CI 1.09 to 1.22, OR=1.30, 95% CI 1.16 to 1.45, OR=1.66, 95% CI 1.42 to 1.93, respectively). In utero exposure to any caffeine was associated with higher risk of overweight at age 3 years and 5 years, while the association persisted at 8 years, only for very high exposures. Any caffeine intake was associated with increased body mass index from infancy to childhood. Children prenatally exposed to caffeine intake >200 mg/day had consistently higher weight. Very high caffeine exposures were associated with higher weight gain velocity from infancy to age 8 years. Conclusion Any caffeine consumption during pregnancy is associated with a higher risk of excess infant growth and of childhood overweight, mainly at preschool ages. Maternal caffeine intake may modify the overall weight growth trajectory of the child from birth to 8 years. This study adds supporting evidence for the current advice to reduce caffeine intake during pregnancy.
  • Edited by Niklas 2022-02-09 14:18
Annons:
Leia
2018-04-24 18:46

wow this is so interesting, I would never have thought there would be a relationship between the two Horrified

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tealover
2018-04-24 18:52

#1 Yes, if there would be any I would have guessed the oposite

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Leia
2018-04-24 19:10

#2 Same here! This is really valuable information to have, especially if you are expecting.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2018-04-25 09:20

I wonder if the effect lasts or if they become normal size children when they grow up.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: