Annons:
Tagother-things-about-tea
Read 2358 times
Tealover
2018-08-18 22:54

How long can you store tea

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Many thinks that Tea, becouse it's a dry food it keeps for a long time. However that is normally not true. Of course you will not die if you drink a 2 year old green Tea but when it comes to taste and health it do not keep for so long. And off course there is eceptions both with seperet Tea types (like pu-erh tea) and different teas in Tea types that normally don't keep so long (some unusual oolong and green teas for example but they are often roasted to make them taste better). So how do you know how long Tea can taste good? First see if theres a experision or sell by date. If you don't find one you can use this rule of thumb. Oolong and black tea: 1 year Green and yellow tea: 1/5 year White tea: 1 month Green pu-erh: minimum 40years Black pu-erh: minimum 15 years This is after you bought it (not after harvest) and a generell rule for taste. It can with some teas or in some conditions keep for longer so do not throw away your old teas just yet. Do a tasting. Does it taste good, keep drinking it, if not? Theres a lot of other things you can use Tea for. Like cooking with Tea works well even if it's older. And if you want too keep it for as long as possible, try to evoid light, heat, oxigyn, smells and damp. So keep it away from the stove, don't keep it next to the coffee or spices and do not keep it in a glass jar for decoration. Use a dubble lid metal container or a tight seeling glass jar thats not exposed to light. And Tea keeps better in big quatitys and whole leaf is best for keeping good Long. Picture note: pu-erh Tea that will keep for a long time

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

• Edited by Niklas 2022-02-09 14:37
Annons:
Leia
2018-08-18 23:10

Is there any Tea that is like wine, as in it tastes better as it ages?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tealover
2018-08-19 09:01

#1 pu-erh Tea is like that

Niklas
2018-08-20 10:02

When Tea is old, is there a way to freshen it up so it gives away more flavor when you make it, or is the taste completely gone?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-08-20 23:03

Interesting! I was one of those who thought Tea never expired.

Tealover
2018-08-25 18:15

#3 Some teas can you dry roast in a medium hot pan. Thats quite common in Japan with green teas making them hojicha. But it changes the flavour too, it's a new kind of Tea then not the same.

Niklas
2018-08-26 20:19

Thanks!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: